Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Coleslaw, Natures Sherbert

This morning Jarod said, "I feel like I've given up on an old friend, sleep, and my only wish is that we can still remain close." He said this as he sat in a chair and fought off dozing, a problem that strikes both of us whenever we have any downtime. During the day for the most part the two of us are fine, its during the night when things are quiter that we struggle the most. The both of us watch TV and spend a good chunk of the time waking the other up. The dozing is subtle, you don't even notice it so you really need a buddy to keep you in check. Even though the nights have rough patches I can tell the naps are starting to help. I've been on the system longer and so I seem to be sleeping deeper than Jarod and handling the late hours better for now. Jarod is doing pretty well and he hasn't overslept during any of the naps. I think the sleep cycle is starting to take, and I'm pretty confident that by the time we return to school that we will both be well into the Uberman cycle and fairly functional in class. Oops there goes Jarod, I had to physically bring him back that time, poor kids being a real trooper. The conversion is like everybody said, brutal. Everytime you get tired you realize that you are never going to just lay down for 8 hours and sleep, that 20 minutes is all you get and mentally thats rough on a person. Both of our cognitive functions have suffered, doing physics homework for me took much longer than it should of and I had to constantly read and reread anything in the book. Since we started this process I have lost about 5 pounds, in less than a week. Some of this is because I was losing weight before we started, but not that fast. I'm not sure how much is because of the polyphasic sleep and how much is jsut me lsing weight but I'll definitely be keeping track of it. Thats all I can think to say right now, I hope to god this is coherent.

No comments: